Sunday, January 24, 2010

A better Mongolian BBQ

I've been going to Mongolian BBQ places since I was a kid growing up in L.A. These restaurants are often not the prettiest places but the food is fine. Nothing amazing but it's kinda fun to pick your own meat and veggies and watch the guys grill your food in front of you. I don't know how sanitary the whole thing is, but I don't worry too much about that.

Nowadays, the closest Mongolian BBQ places by me is Mogo's in Sherman Oaks. I always thought it was fine until we went to Gobi Mongolian BBQ last night is hip Silverlake.

I read about this place in Friday's edition of Tasting Table L.A. (free on line subscription) and by Saturday, I was there.

This is a great version of Mongolian BBQ. The veggies were outstanding and unique--asparagus, shataki mushrooms, butternut squash, cilantro, spinach, etc. The meat choices included lamb, chicken, rib eye and pork and there was also tofu (my husband loved that) and shrimp available ($3 more for shrimp). The sauces were also not run of the mill--lemongrass, smoked oyster sauce (mild or medium) and curry sauce were all delicious. The smoked oyster sauce reminded me of the taste of BBQ potato chips--really yummy.

This isn't an all you can eat place like Mogo's, but that's ok. The bowls are huge and people pile it on. For $13.95 for dinner, it's a great deal. We had enough left over for a decent doggie/people bag.

This is a small place and they don't take reservations for small parties but we were seated pretty quick. The host said "16 minute wait" and it was. I have no idea how they planned that.

There are cocktails and dessert but we were stuffed so we didn't try it. DEFINITELY worth the quick drive. I can't wait to go again.

Gobi Mongolian BBQ, 2827 W. Sunset Blvd., Silver Lake; 213-989-0711 or gobimongolianbbq.com

1 comment: