Saturday, January 23, 2010

movies

My friend asked me the other day if I'd seen any good movies lately. I have seen a ton this year because 1) my husband's in the Writer's Guild so we got a lot of screeners to "review", 2) a typical family outing is my family going to the movies and 3) by living in L.A, you just go.

Based on what I've seen recently, here's my thoughts on some of the potential Oscar-y movies... "A Single Man" with Colin Firth--very well done movie that is more about relationships than about two gay men. I don't think it was showing in a lot of theaters, but it is worth seeing. It did not make me squirm in my seat from being uncomfortable watching it with an almost 15 year old girl even though it's rated R.

"Up in the Air"--I liked it but it is not action packed. I don't think it's the best movie of the year. Oscar-y movies are more impactful and make a statement. This movie is very subtle. Acting was strong, there was a good twist and there were some funny lines.

"Fantastic Mr. Fox"--great stop-animation movie. The detail of the animals' clothes, fur and mannerisms were spot on. It was fun to watch and had a good story too. Not just for kids.

"The Lovely Bones"--I liked the book much more. Stanley Tucci is a great bad guy but the idea of heaven is too abstract for me (I blame Peter Jackson's vision for that) and I hate seeing dead people. Even though it's rated PG-13, it was hard for me to watch.

"It's Complicated"--has one of the funniest scenes in a movie in a long time. Meryl Streep is always great and I'd love to own/work in her bakery and kitchen . Steve Martin looks like he had too much plastic surgery and Alec Baldwin is Alec Baldwin-ish.

"Precious"--very good movie. Mo'nique was just great. Even though she doesn't shave her legs in real life, she was really, really powerful as the horrible mom. She was ugly inside and out in that film. I was concerned the abuse scenes would be too much for me to watch, but they were ok. It's definitely worth seeing.

"Young Victoria" and "Bright Star"--beautiful movies. The costumes are just wonderful and the male co-stars are a pleasure to watch. Both great romances.

"An Education"--I liked the acting in the movie even though Peter Saarsgard's character is creepy. I know he's supposed to be creepy, so that works.

"Julie and Julia"--come on, it's Meryl Streep, and she's great in EVERYTHING.

It may seem like I've seen every big movie, but I haven't--haven't seen "The Blind Side", "Avatar,"Invictus" or "The Hurt Locker." I should watch these so when they win I can say, "I saw those movies and they deserve the Oscar", but I'm not rushing to the theaters.

I do still want to see "Crazy Heart" with Jeff Bridges. Have to find the time for that.

1 comment:

  1. I will now see Precious since you confirmed it wasn't too much to watch...i've been holding out not wanting "to go there." I recommend you try to see The Blind Side and Invictus for their stories and good acting and Avatar for the visual (not a riveting story though). And Crazy Heart was fantastic for the music and only a little depressing.
    I love your blog...thanks for sharing your experiences!

    ReplyDelete