Saturday, February 20, 2010

Garlic Sauce & Foot Massages

When I was pregnant with my daughter, my husband and I would go to Zankou Chicken Restaurant for lunch after our doctor's appointment. It used to be cheap (not so anymore) and I'd always get a chicken sandwich with extra garlic sauce. The white, pungent, flavorful spread is/was my favorite part of the sandwich and I ate it up. I never had that sauce again until I found it at another middle eastern type restaurant in my neighborhood called Cedar House. They give the sauce as an accompaniment to their entrees in a little, tiny bowl. Never enough but I guess good enough.

However today, I found my favorite thing in the cold case at Jons Market in North Hollywood. There it was--a tub of the white fluffy stuff. Garlic Spread for $2.99. I could have my own spread anytime and on anything! Yay! Once I unloaded my groceries I immediately put it on some flat bread and savored the taste. It tastes just like the stuff at the restaurants. We'll see how long it lasts in my fridge.

Although the garlic sauce did make my day, I was pretty happy this morning anyway because of my hour long, $20 foot massage. When a friend told me about Nature Healing Center (across the street from the North Hollywood Target) and their amazing 60-minute foot massage, I had to try it.

I've been coming here for the past year at least once a month. It's really a great price and it's really a great massage.


This isn't a chic spa with white terry cloth robes, fuzzy slippers and cucumber water. However, it's a deep tissue, professional massage done in a reclining, comfortable, cushioned chair and I get to keep my clothes on. I've brought friends here and it works out great because each massage space has two lounging chairs next to each other. The treatment gives special attention to the pressure points in the feet which is perfect for my sore spots, but the masseur person also works the head, neck, back, arms and legs.

Even without the extras (including privacy), after this massage I felt like a million bucks.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I too, was a huge fan of that garlic spread until I asked what it was and the waitress said it was crisco and garlic.

    Now, I just love the tahini and am very happy smothering it all over the chicken shwarma and falafel at Cedar House.

    Hmmm, may I'll stop for lunch today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty sad. The ingredients on the garlic spread I bought at Jons Market says "garlic, salt, citric acid (I'm guessing lemon) and soybean oil" so I don't feel so bad using it--plus isn't garlic a vegetable anyway??

    ReplyDelete