Thursday, February 25, 2010

Los Angeles Times Food Section

Growing up in L.A. my parents subscribed to the Los Angeles Times and The Daily News (which was called The Green Sheet when I was a kid). I didn't read the paper very much at all when I was little (except for current events projects), but I did read the comics and Calendar section each Sunday. My Dad read (and still reads) the whole paper and my mom would always read and cut out recipes from both newspapers (and she still does that).

As a grown up, I really do love the newspaper. I only subscribe to the Times but I read it every morning. I am the only one walking down my driveway barefoot-ed at 5:45 a.m. to get my paper. My feet are so cold that I've started to count the number of steps it takes to reach my paper and pretend I'm crossing over broken glass just to distract my freezing cold feet.

Anyway,one of my favorite sections is the Wednesday Food section. It has definitely lost its amount of content over the years and for the last few weeks it came in the Thursday paper not the Wednesday paper (which really threw me off) but it's still a great resource for recipes, wine and restaurants.

Last week there was a review for a hole-in-the-wall, Mediterranean restaurant called Hayat's Kitchen in North Hollywood.I went there the other day for lunch and there were 3 other tables of diners there from the same article. For a place that has 6 tables total, that is an amazing turnout!

Today's Food section was really great. After reading today's edition, I signed up for a free daily foodie newsletter (Blackboardeats.com) and made the recipe for Nutella Humentashen (for Purim) which sounds amazing.

I know the likelihood is virtually zero that a hard copy of a newspaper is going to be around for my kid to subscribe to, but I sure hope so. She sees me read the newspaper every day just like I did with my parents and she reads the Comics section every Sunday just like I did too.

No comments:

Post a Comment