Thursday, February 4, 2010

Eat Cake

I'm in a book club that meets once a month. Sometimes we go to a coffee house to meet and sometimes we go to a member's house. Sometimes we watch movies based on books and sometimes we just talk. In December we did a book swap--we just brought in books we were done with and traded for books we hadn't read yet. At that time I picked up a few books including "Eat Cake" by Jeanne Ray. I put it in my pile of books to read and forgot about it. The other day I was done with a book and didn't have another one at the ready, and found this book in my book shelf.

I have no idea who brought this book to swap, but I need to thank her, because I enjoyed spending a few days reading this book. The book involves a family undergoing change and the main character realizing her passion can also be a financial success.

I've never heard of this author before but have since discovered she's the mother of Ann Patchett, an author whose books I have loved (Bel Canto and Truth & Beauty). This is a really simple book but it combines two of my favorite things--baking and family. I love books that highlight cooking, baking and recipes. Although I read cook books for fun, I really like books that intertwine recipes and food into the story.

Some of my recent favorites are: School of Essential Ingredients (really great book), Julie and Julia (yes, the book the movie is based on. It was really very fun; better than the movie), Gourmet Magazine's Ruth Reichel's non-fiction books (Comfort me with Apples is the best) and anything by anyone that has lived in Italy.

However, one book that I was really disappointed in that is in this genre is "The Recipe Club"--this book has been highlighted on TV and in book clubs and I found it pointless and boring and included recipes that were just sub-par. Don't waste your time.

1 comment:

  1. Carol, I just heard about a new memoir: Lunch In Paris, A Love Story with Recipes, by Elizabeth Bard. Check it out. I think it will fun.

    ReplyDelete