Friday, February 12, 2010

The next big thing

If I could make money on trend spotting, I'd have some more money than I have now. I'm pretty good at predicting the next big thing, but I'm the only one who knows this (or probably who cares about this) so I can't really cash in. I told my family that Crocs would be very popular when I noticed everyone in the Denver Airport was wearing them a few years ago. When I got into Boulder, Colorado, everyone was wearing them there too. Not one person in L.A. even knew what a Croc was until about 6 months later, then Crocs got their 15 minutes of fame worldwide.

Last January I told my husband that 3D was going to be the next big thing. That was before Avatar, 3D TV's and every other 3D thing that came out. I couldn't invest in 3D but I knew it was going to be huge.

I'm back with my current prediction--French Macarons. I'm not talking coconut macaroons you eat at Passover. These are the beautiful, bright, crispy, light as air macaroons made with crushed almonds and filled with rich cream. The flavors are amazing--Lavender, Meyer lemon, sea salt and caramel, chocolate ganache and raspberry. I've seen these wonderful cookies in the prettiest of colors for awhile now, but just this week I've read about them on Tasting Table, heard two separate stories about them on NPR and saw them in the weirdest places.

It's the jewel colors of the French Macaroons that make them so unique. Shocking pink, tangerine orange, sunny yellow, lime green, etc. Crazy for a cookie but perfect for a special treat.

The next big thing is waiting to be discovered and I hope to figure it out before everyone else does too...

2 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how excited I am now Carol! I have been gluten free for about a year and a half now and was a little sad when I started reading your post since it was just another dessert that I would have to pass on. The cookies are what I miss most and the GF versions out there just aren't good enough. SOOOO I looked up recipes and find that french macaroons are gluten free!!!! YAY! I'm going to request some for valentine's day, although plain dark chocolate has become my go to dessert since it is gluten free, delicious and an antioxidant! :)
    So thanks for opening up my options and turning my frown upside down :>

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!! Besides the macarons there are the wonderful marshmallows from Plush Puffs. They are also gluten free and delish. Not crunchy like cookies but sweet and yummy. You can order them on line.

    ReplyDelete